This is a typical example - I knew I needed a cervical cytology update, I hadn't done a smear in 2 years, yet the population I work with seems best at responding to opportunistic interventions rather than appointment invitation based interventions. I hadn't formally noted it as a learning need.
I was pleased to find an invite to a cervical cytology update promoted by the PCT and also involving a local specialist discussing Chlamydia.
What was news? Well the whole local call/recall system has had an overhaul and practices do not need to get involved in sending out invitations. We are still using slides and Aylesbury spatulae but by next Autumn we are moving to wet preps and brushes! When the move comes each practice will get a teaching session, so need to worry about that just yet.
Chlamydia screening is coming but they were hoping to tie it to the smear programme, however since this has moved from starting at 21 year to starting at 25 years this is now considered inappropriate. There was no news on when it was going to start. Our local GU clinician preferred one dose of Azithromycin as treatment, rather than a week of doxycycline for obvious reasons of compliance. Whatever I do, I must not forget the contact tracing. Apparently the fallopian tube blockage is thought to have an immune basis and re-infection increases the risk of this occurring. Treating the woman and not following up with her partner is a sure road to infertility.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment